A brief history of the Boy Scouts of America can be found in the Scout handbook.
Paoli Troop 181 was organized on November 11, 1930 as Troop 81. Paoli Presbyterian Church was the sponsoring organization and at the time, the Troop met on Lancaster Avenue in what today is the Paoli Baptist Church. For a number of years, the Troop was sponsored by the PTA of the Paoli Elementary School and later the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. During one of the sponsoring organization changes, the Troop number was changed to 181, although throughout all these changes there is clear continuity of membership. Over the years, the Troop has met in the Elementary School on Central and Fennerton Avenue (now operated by the Society of Friends), and the Airdrie Preserve cabin. The Airdrie Preserve land was donated by Lydia S. M. Robinson in 1940. The Troop received permission to construct the cabin in 1949 but actual construction did not occur until 1954 through 1957.
The troop neckerchief path represents all these locations and the bend of the Octorato River which is the location of our Horseshoe summer camp. The Chapel building (which was also the town Library before being moved to its present site) represents Paoli Presbyterian Church.
In late 2004, the sponsorship of Troop 181 was changed to Berwyn United Methodist to accommodate the growing needs of the troop.